Monday, January 7, 2013

A diagnosis



Over the Christmas break, Evie had an annual appointment with her neurologist at Carle, Dr. Kennedy.
She has decided not to diagnose her with Tourettes Syndrome at this time since her vocal tics are limited to coughs and throat clearing.. (not repetitive speech). The official diagnosis is Complex Tic Disorder. Her motor tics over the break were pretty bad. Her eyes and head movement were a distraction and she was wore out at the end of each day. Some of it could have been triggered by excitement with Christmas and lots of family in town but the doctor thought that a small dose of Tenex twice a day would suppress her tics and also help improve focus. She started the medication this past Friday night, January 4th. Today, three days later, she is very tired. This girl hasn't taken a nap in the daytime in years and she is sleeping soundly right now. We think that since the med is new to her system that the side effect of drowsiness will eventually lessen.

We were very "anti-med" when we went into the office but Evie and Dr. Kennedy had a personal conversation in which Evie revealed that her tics are embarrassing her and causing her to not be able to concentrate on tasks. :(

I'll update in a week or so!

Edit: Her prescribed dosage was 1/2 tablet twice daily. After seeing how much it zonked her out we've changed the dose to 1/4 tablet twice daily. This same med turned Evan into a zombie last year on that same dose and we reduced his as well with great results. I hope the doctor approves but we know what's best for her. Updates to follow....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet girl! I hope she isn't so tired soon.

Tina said...

Me too.. I'm super nervous about school.. But I sent an email to her teacher letting her know what to expect!